U.S. Market Indexes Lower with Oil Prices a Factor
U.S. market indexes were lower Monday. For the day the Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 18142.42 for a loss of -18.77 points or -0.10 percent. The S&P 500 closed at 2126.15 for a loss of -0.26 points or -0.01 percent. The Nasdaq Composite closed lower at 5189.13 for a loss of -0.97 points or -0.02 percent. The VIX Volatility Index was higher for the day at 17.19 for a gain of 1.00 point or 6.18 percent.
Monday’s Market Movers
Stocks were lower Monday as oil prices fell and OPEC was unable to reach an agreement on oil prices. WTI crude oil was down 4.13 percent to $46.69 on Monday. Brent crude oil was also lower, down 4.32 percent at $48.49. The following economic reports also affected the market on Monday:
- Personal Income and Outlays reported a 0.3 percent increase in personal income for the month
- PCE Price Index up 0.2 percent for the month and 1.2 percent for the year
- Core PCE Price Index up 1.7 percent for the year
- Chicago PMI at 50.6, down from 54.2
- Dallas Fed Manufacturing Survey Production Index at 6.7 which was down from previous report of 16.7
- Farm prices down 3.9 percent for the month and 10 percent for the year
Stocks trading actively for the day included the following:
Bank of America
Level 3 Communications
In the Dow Jones Industrial Average, the following stocks led losses:
Home Depot -1.27
Walt Disney -1.24
General Electric -0.41
In the broad market, energy and healthcare led losses. Technology was also lower with the S&P 500 technology sector down -0.04 percent. Stocks leading losses in technology included the following:
Western Digital -1.3
Electronic Arts -1.17
Yahoo! Inc. -0.55
In commodities, gold traded higher as evidenced by the SPDR Gold Trust which reported a gain of 0.36 points or 0.30 percent. The dollar was lower for the day as the U.S. Dollar Index was down -0.01 points or -0.01 percent to 98.33.
In small-caps, the Russell 2000 Index closed at 1191.39 for a gain of 0.32. The S&P 600 Small-Cap Index closed at 722.59 for a gain of 0.55 percent. The Dow Jones Small-Cap Growth TSM Index closed at 7194.52 for a gain of 0.23 percent. The Dow Jones Small-Cap Value TSM Index closed at 8509.49 for a gain of 0.58 percent.
Other Notable Indexes
Other notable index closes included the S&P 400 Mid-Cap Index at 1509.46 for a gain of 0.65 percent; the S&P 100 Index at 943.87 for a gain of -0.15 percent; the Russell 3000 Index at 1255.18 for a gain of 0.04 percent; the Russell 1000 Index at 1177.22 for a gain of 0.02 percent; and the Dow Jones U.S. Select Dividend Index at 602.32 for a gain of 0.72 percent.
Rules of Discussion on Live Index
2. Member's comments should lead to value addition in forum discussion.
3. If anyone is found making repetitive Explicit/Abusive/Racial comments, his account shall be banned and old posts will be deleted.